Recently I’ve been slow on updating on the blog. It was mainly because that started from June, I started my private cooking classes and home chef activities. And it had been such a joy, and at the same time busy period.
I’ve been enjoying cooking dumplings and many other Chinese home dishes to the local Italians, as well sharing my food pictures on my Instagram. Lately one of the most popular pictures is the one of the scallion pancakes with flaky layers, which not only aroused interests among certain westerns, but also “seduced” my oriental friends.
Here is the recipe of the pancake. It is a great food for any meal, and it goes perfectly with dishes such as stew, porridge, soup, etc.
- All purpose flour
- Steaming hot water
- Room temperature water
(proportion of the 3 ingredients above is 7:1:2)
- A pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil 1 table spoon
- All purpose flour 2 table spoon
- Five spice powder 1 tea spoon
- A pinch of salt
- A lot of chopped scallion (quantity varies according to your preference)
- Vegetable oil
- Mix salt and the flour. Add the hot water into the flour and mix well.
- Then add in little by little the room temperature water and mix well.
- Rub the flour into a dough, and rest it for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add in the vegetable oil and rub the dough until it absorbs all the oil.
- Divide the dough into small portions. Roll each one into an oval, press it into a flat shape and dip it into vegetable oil.
- Rest all the small doughs for 2 hours.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Leave the chopped scallions on surface.
- In a small pan, heat up the vegetable oil. Once there is smoke coming up from the oil, remove it from the fire and pour the hot oil on the chopped scallions.
- Mix everything well for later use.
Visit recipe “Pan Fried Scallion Flavored Buns” for more details
- Take a small dough and roll it into a thin and flat pasta.
- Spread a thin layer of the flour-oil mixture on top of it and roll it up into a “new” dough.
- Roll the new dough into flat and pan fry it using low-medium fire.
- Pan fry each side for 45 second. Take it out once the surface turns into golden brown color.
A perfect food for any meal or snack.