I felt super happy when typing the title of this post, because by the time it is published, the Spring will be officially arrived!
The reason why I am posting a recipe of Spring Pancake (春饼) is that according to the Lunar calendar, this Sunday 4th February is the day of Lichun (立春), meaning Beginning of Spring. To celebrate the arrival of Spring, we would eat some festival food for this day. Different regions in China may eat different things, but the logic are quite similar: wrap some vegetables (usually stir-fried bean sprouts, potatoes, green beans, etc.) and meat inside a crepe. In the South region, people eat spring rolls (fried or fresh), while in the North, we eat spring pancakes.
I found the English name by searching on Google. However I rather prefer to call it “crepe” than “pancake”, because it supposes to be a thin flat bread, which can be rolled up as a wrap. “Pancake” sounds like a dessert, and less flexible.
Putting aside of my personal opinion on its translated name, let’s focus on the important thing here, which is to make these tasty flat bread. Also to prepare ourselves to the up-coming season.
- Steaming hot water
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the flour with the salt. Gradually add in the boiled hot water into the flour, and keep stirring.
- When all the flour is wet, use your hand to knead the flour into a dough.
- Brush a thin layer of oil outside the dough, and cover it with a plastic wrap. Rest the dough for 1 hour.
- (after 1 hour) Divide the dough into small portions according to your preferences. Brush oil onto each small dough’s surface.
- Take one and roll it into a round shape flat bread.
- Put a flat pan on medium heat. When the pan is hot, put the flat bread into the pan and bake for 1 minute on each side.
Note: Do Not roll the dough in too much advance. It is better to roll it flat right before baking it.
You can eat it directly. Or as what we do, wrap in some stir-fried veggie/ meat, and enjoy it with more flavors. Get some ideas for the veggie & meat dishes here.