What is the dish that every Chinese people knows how to cook? It has to be the tomato scramble egg (番茄炒蛋)!
It was the first dish my Mom taught me to prepare, and it was as well her first dish taught by her mother. The tomato scramble egg has been regarded as THE entry to Chinese cooking. Just like the first English world we learn was Apple.
In Italy, a country that barely put tomatoes aside in cooking, I found a new & fusion way to enjoy this homeland dish. Inspired by the Pasta Al Pomodoro (pasta in the tomato sauce) and the very traditional roman pasta Carbonara (a pasta with egg, cheese, and black pepper in the sauce), I’ve discovered a fusion way of cooking my tomato scramble egg, which turned out to be a companion to Chinese noodles!
The original way is to use the fresh tomatoes, but since it is a deft dish, I sometimes use the canned tomato sauce to make the preparation easier and even more simple. In this way it takes me only 7 – 10 minutes to prepare. Such an instant and healthy dish!
- Tomato sauce (or fresh tomatoes)
- Egg x 1
- Salt & Pepper
- Chinese noodle/ Udon/ pasta you preferred…
- Prepare water in a pot, and bring it to boil. Put in the noodles and cook them according to the instruction.
- Same time prepare the sauce. Break the egg, and separate the yolk from the white.
- Pour some oil into a pan. When it is hot, put in the egg white and saute until 80% cooked, then take it out.
- In the same pot, pour in the canned tomato sauce and heat it up.
- When the noodles are ready, take them out from the pot, and put them into the pan.
- Add in the cooked egg white. Mix the noodles, egg white and tomato sauce together. Then turn off the fire.
- Wait until the ingredients inside the pan are no more in simmering, pour the egg yolk on top of the noodles while stir everything to make sure the yolk is evenly spread. (Here we are cooking the yolk using the remaining heat to prevent from getting the yolk scrambled)
- Add salt and pepper according to your preference.
Garnish with some chopped onion on top, and TAH-DAH~~~